Furthering its commitment to the community where it all began, H-E-B is excited to announce details around its plans to build a new store on Main St. in Kerrville. At 106,000 square feet, the new store, which will be situated next to the existing store on Main St., will feature an expansive product assortment and several convenient services customers come to expect from H-E-B.
Site construction is already underway and the new store is expected to open late 2020. The existing 79,000-square-foot Kerrville H-E-B on Main St., which opened in 1984, will close upon the opening of the new store.
“We are excited to bring a new H-E-B store to Kerrville, the city where it all started for our company,” said Julie Bedingfield, H-E-B Public Affairs Manager. “With an enhanced in-store experience and commitment to top-quality service and selection, this new store allows us to continue to serve the growing needs of our customers and provide the community with the best we have to offer.”
For the store, H-E-B will introduce design elements that complement the look and feel of the surrounding neighborhood and the Hill Country community, incorporating metal shed roofs and limestone materials. The limestone used for the store honors the company’s second location for its store, which opened in 1911 at the rock Masonic Building on Earl Garrett St. in Kerrville.
Among the stores new features include the inclusion of True Texas BBQ, H-E-B’s lauded barbecue restaurant that was recently named best barbecue chain in Texas by Texas Monthly and a top barbecue chain in the nation by Thrillist. Additionally, the gas station will add gas pumps as well as include diesel fuel and a car wash.
With an updated world-class shopping experience, the store will offer fresh, quality food options and innovative services that allow customers to choose how they shop, pay for and receive their products. Along with exciting new services such as H-E-B Curbside and Home Delivery, customers will find all the signature features and conveniences they expect from H-E-B, with many new and expanded product selections.
Some new highlights and updated departments from the store include:
- H-E-B Curbside service allows customers to create a shopping list online and pick up their order at the store
- 22 check stands featuring several self-checkout registers for quick customer service
- Meal Simple area with options for quick and simple meal planning
- Showtime Kitchen feature live demos and daily samplings using quick and easy recipes that can be made at home
- Sushiya offering handmade sushi selections made in-store daily
- A bakery department featuring handmade artisan breads, cakes and Tortillería for fresh tortillas made in-house
- A large selection of craft and import beers and wines from around the world
- Expanded frozen department
- Cheese shop with expanded selection
- Pharmacy with drive-thru service
To pay homage to the company’s roots, part of the design element will include a decorative facade that resembles the retailer’s original store, which was located in the 800 block of Main St. and opened in 1905 as C.C. Butt Grocery Store. The Curbside logo on the store will include a Model T, which is a nod to the early days of H-E-B grocery delivery.
While it’s not the official location of the original store, a Texas state historical marker stands at the current Main St. store property that commemorates H-E-B’s humble beginnings in Kerrville. It was dedicated in 2016.
This story will be updated with more information as this project develops.